Jul 14, 2014

Gallup-ing my way to focus

Taking personality tests is one of my favorite distractions and I’ve never paid anything to take them; that is, until the Strengths Finder test.
Kimchi Taco and I got the book and took the test a few weeks ago. Our results confirmed strengths that we’ve noticed in each other, and the generated results also gave us ideas on how to maximize them. The whole point of the SF test is to discover and use what’s already there. The results page from the Gallup Strengths Center website provides ideas for action, which have been extremely helpful in focusing my thoughts. Considering that Kimchi Taco and I plan to work and minister together, understanding our strengths proved highly insightful and practical. I’m certain that this well help us in our teamwork :)

Here are my top 5 strengths starting with the strongest:
Connectedness®
 ”People strong in the Connectedness theme have faith in the links between all things. They believe there are few coincidences and that almost every event has a reason.”
I’m surprised that Belief (strong, unchanging values) wasn’t one of my strengths. I’d like to think that Connectedness still correlates with my faith and I want to keep growing in this.
Learner®
"People strong in the Learner theme have a great desire to learn and want to continuously improve. In particular, the process of learning, rather than the outcome, excites them."
YES!!! 
Intellection®
"People strong in the Intellection theme are characterized by their intellectual activity. They are introspective and appreciate intellectual discussions."
DOUBLE YES!!!
Input®
"People strong in the Input theme have a craving to know more. Often they like to collect and archive all kinds of information."
Since I was a kid, I’ve had this thing with trivia and collecting information that I perceive would be useful in the future. Also, if I stumble upon something I know someone would be interested in, I share it immediately or save it for later.
I’m relieved to know that my intense desire to master everything I’m interested in is a valid strength. I just had to understand it and realize that my investment with personal learning can and should benefit others. I often wonder what I could do with my tendency to stock up on knowledge or follow rabbit trails of information, often getting lost. My current job as a researcher and my excitement to pursue grad school next year is one clue! And maybe—just maybe—my childhood dream of becoming a teacher could also be a clue to what my future would look like. Teaching involves constantly learning and passing on that knowledge to others. I’m down for that.
EmpathyTM
"People strong in the Empathy theme can sense the feelings of other people by imagining themselves in others’ lives or others’ situations."
Kimchi Taco’s first four strengths are different from mine but we share Empathy as our fifth :) I would call it intuition (that little N in my INFJ-ness…or was it the I?) While this isn’t my strongest, I could see how pronounced this is when I’m in social settings. I think Kimchi Taco’s “Includer” strength complements this.
You can find the brief descriptions for all 34 strengths here.
And take the test here.
If you purchase the Strengths Finder 2.0 book , you will have an access code to take the Clifton (Top 5) Strengths Finder test on the Gallup website. If not, you’ll have to purchase an access code separately. Unfortunately, you can’t take it for free. You can look for similar free tests but I think the one from Gallup is worth the ten bucks.
In another post, I’ll share some of the action items suggested in my results! Has any of you taken the test too? Let me know in the comments or drop me a line :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow how neat! I'm infj too.

    Here's mine:
    empathy
    responsibility
    ideation
    input
    activator

    I did a full analysis of my personality as my first blog post... have you seen it?! I talk a lot about INFJ!

    http://www.barefootthunder.com/blog/2014/06/23/my-myers-briggs-results-infj/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just visited! INFJs are generally awesome people, methinks :>

      Ahh I wish responsibility was one of my strengths! Were you able to read through some ideas for action to maximize your strengths?

      Delete